Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: FTC May Put Kibosh on Google's AdMob Deal

Re: FTC May Put Kibosh on Google's AdMob Deal
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2010-03-11 13:30:47
See Full Story

Google's proposed $750 million acquisition of the mobile ad network AdMob may be subjected to a protracted period of regulatory scrutiny. The FTC reportedly is seeking sworn declarations from at least two of Google's competitors. Google announced its intent to buy AdMob in November 2009, in a stock deal that would make it the company's third-largest acquisition. Google acknowledged at the time that it might draw some regulatory scrutiny, but it now appears the oversight process could be more in-depth than it originally expected.

FTC and Ad Targeting
Posted by: jamesoppenheim 2010-03-12 09:02:13 In reply to: Erika Morphy
The FTC’s increased involvement in this acquisition is another sign of how seriously the government considers the issue of utilizing user data for the sake of targeting ads. Consumer privacy issues often clash with the application of behavioral targeting online, and now those same issues are appearing in the mobile space. As the large volumes of data collected from consumers continue to vex lawmakers and government regulators, semantic targeting, which does not track user behavior, becomes all the more appealing. Semantics understands the meaning and sentiment of the content a user is looking at, and targets the most relevant and appropriate ads in real time, avoiding issue of cookies and user data.

One way the FTC can put this to bed.
Posted by: mobiThinking 2010-03-11 14:08:22 In reply to: Erika Morphy
The report cited by Google is the mobiThinking Guide to Mobile Ad Networks, it is available free here: http://mobithinking.com/mobile-ad-network-guide
As no mobile ad network reveals revenue – every other measure is flawed for one reason or another – even in secret to analysts (we know, we've asked the analysts), no one really knows the true market share (ask the analysts oft quoted, they'll tell you).
However no one would refuse to tell the FTC their revenues, right? So why doesn't the FTC do itself, Google/AdMob and everyone else a favor and request those numbers, work out the market shares, publish it and then we can put the thing to rest once and for all. It is a distraction that the mobile marketing business doesn't need.
mobiThinking sent an email to the FTC back in December suggesting that and listing 14 networks operating in the US they should contact first: http://mobithinking.com/blog/dear-ftc-about-admob-google - I'm sure plenty of other people have suggested the same thing. Fingers crossed this is part of the FTC investigation (assuming there is one of course).
Jump to:
I am most loyal to brands that...
Give the best value for my money
Have helpful and friendly staff
Operate an easy-to-use website
Provide fast, knowledgeable responses to questions
Support causes that I believe in