Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Murdoch vs. Huffington on the Future of Online News

Re: Murdoch vs. Huffington on the Future of Online News
Posted by: Scott M. Fulton, III 2009-12-04 13:09:43
See Full Story

The problem remains: How can a business be profitable at producing news for the Internet audience when the principal method for ensuring that the news is visible to that audience is a free system? The U.S. Federal Trade Commission could not have chosen two more appropriate representatives of the opposite poles of this issue than News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch and mega-blog editor Arianna Huffington, to head its public workshop in Washington Tuesday on the subject of the future of the online news industry.

Murdoch v. Huffington
Posted by: jcrglobalcaplaw 2009-12-04 13:28:24 In reply to: Scott M. Fulton, III
Thorough explanation of two "opposing" views but both of which can live well in the digital world: brands as "clutter-cutters" and in-depth analysis sources and "free" journalism.

However, Murdoch and Huffington missed another model, exemplified by Demand Media, which applies an algorithm to a search-term datafeed to determine the most popular topics. They then pay a minimal amount to create content that is tweaked (including the headline) to respond to the datastream results and then publish and syndicate. I believe that they are now the largest purveyor of online content in the world. (Good article in recent issue of Wired magazine on the details.)
Jump to:
Which review rating influences you most when researching a business?
5 Stars - I want to know what others found amazing.
4 Stars - I want to find out why it's liked for the most part, but not without faults.
3 Stars - I want to understand why the business is neither loved nor hated.
2 Stars - I want to learn why the weaknesses outweigh the strengths.
1 Star - I want to know why anybody says they are completely dissatisfied with the business.