Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: IAB To Wrestle Gator.com over Alternative Online Ads

Re: IAB To Wrestle Gator.com over Alternative Online Ads
Posted by: Clare Saliba 2001-08-28 14:44:44
See Full Story

Does an online shopping companion service have the right to substitute ads of its own
choosing for the ads that other Web sites expect users to see? Welcome to the latest
Internet advertising riddle.

Tuesday, the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB) said that it intends to "immediately
pursue options" with U.S. agencies over allegations that Internet software maker Gator.com
is subverting paid-for online advertisements with alternative ads.

Posted by: Anti-gator 2001-08-30 03:48:02 In reply to: Clare Saliba
Gator has installed itself on my system 3 times while I was browsing without any sort of prompt. I have no idea from which site it even came from. I keep uninstalling it and it keeps showing back up. All other software/plug-ins prompt me so it's not my browser settings.

I hear this is happening to others as well.

This last time it completely hosed my system. I feel this is a blatant violation of my right to control what goes on my own computer. Who would a regular citizen complain to concerning this? FTC? DOJ? Any lawyers want the case? I'm pissed.

Posted by: Turbo Shueller 2001-08-29 11:36:25 In reply to: Clare Saliba
The folks at Gator should be embarrassed by their unethical behavior.

This is no different from covering a McDonald's sign with your own restaurant's banner.

I am less than impressed with their shoddy business practice and immoral behavior. I hope that they get shut down!

Posted by: wayne Buehner 2001-08-28 18:34:32 In reply to: Clare Saliba
Doesn't the site owner get to choose what is displayed on their site?

Also one would have to go over Gators policy word by word to know exactly what it is they are doing.

Jump to:
How does the quality of customer service delivered by government compare to that of the private sector?
Government customer service is far superior.
Government customer service is slightly better.
Government and private sector customer service are about the same.
Private sector customer service is slightly better.
Private sector customer service is far superior.