Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Senate Committee Flogs Big-Name E-Tailers for Sneaky Sales Tactics

See Full Story

The U.S. Senate Commerce Committee has released a report slamming the online business practices of three direct marketing companies -- Affinion, Vertrue and Webloyalty -- along with hundreds of online Web sites and retailers that participate in these practices. Many of the participating retailers are well-known brand names, such as Classmates.com, Hotwire and 1-800-Flowers.com. Essentially, these companies sell club memberships to consumers who are making purchases -- movie tickets, plane tickets, or other online goods and services -- on unrelated sites.

Re: Senate Committee Flogs Big-Name E-Tailers for Sneaky Sales Tactics
Posted by: startupfan 2014-09-29 09:33:14 In reply to: Erika Morphy
passing on credit card information to a third party is the main reason thinking customers are extra careful when doing transactions online.. I normally prefer cash payment upon delivery of my item/s. In case there's no other option but to register using a credit card, I would do a web research about the company's reputation before filling-up the registration form.

With so many Privacy Issues going on around us, it helps to be always on guard.
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads