Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Big-League ISPs Press FCC to Lower Bar on 'Broadband'

Re: Big-League ISPs Press FCC to Lower Bar on 'Broadband'
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2009-09-04 12:03:25
See Full Story

Several telephone companies have suggested to the FCC that it change its definition of broadband. Verizon, AT&T and Comcast are asking the government to define broadband transmissions as anything over 768 Kbps downstream and 200 Kbps upstream. They were responding to an FCC call seeking definitions to help it develop a national broadband plan under the terms of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. On August 20, the FCC sent out its public notice seeking to define broadband.

Both broadband speed AND access is important!
Posted by: tony4life 2009-09-04 12:22:30 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
While I agree to many of the points being made to have a truer definition of broadband speed, I'm here to comment on this section of the article:

"Only 27 percent of Americans have broadband, so you need to provide broadband in rural areas," Julien Blin, CEO and principal analyst at JBB Research, explained.

THIS PERSON WENT ON TO SAY:

"..people in rural areas don't necessarily need services that require lots of bandwidth."

I'm a "suburban guy" who's also worked in a city environment. Sure, we find lots of reasons to use high-speed Internet access but how arrogant is it to claim that just people someone might live on a farm or ranch, itís assumed they donít have needs similar to the rest of us?! Most of us over the age of 35 remember when the Internet wasnít anything special. When we were growing up, we were lucky to have a video game system with games that were purchased at a store. For the few of us that had computers, we were using floppy discs and 50 megabyte hard drives were considered large. The internet uses of today were developed by those that saw the possibilities for its use. Many of us had no clue what to do with it but there were creative visionaries that took off with the technology. To them I will always be grateful! Imagine if someone in a rural area got a hold of high speed technology and developed a new tool or system that could be used by millions all over the world? Imagine making new contacts in those areas and giving people new career opportunities so the quality of life across our country can improve? Julien Blin, I suggest you take a cross-country road trip without any technology (except for a basic cell phone for safety) and see what life outside your city is like. I have and itís full of wonderful and intelligent people who are starving for opportunities many of us apparently take for granted. A road trip may be just what JBB Research needs to connect to the needs of the rest of the United States.
Jump to:
I am most loyal to brands that...
Give the best value for my money
Have helpful and friendly staff
Operate an easy-to-use website
Provide fast, knowledgeable responses to questions
Support causes that I believe in