Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: GM May Trade In Clunky Sales Model if eBay Gamble Works

Re: GM May Trade In Clunky Sales Model if eBay Gamble Works
Posted by: Mike Pearson 2009-08-12 08:30:24
See Full Story

eBay and General Motors announced Monday that 225 of the carmaker's California dealers would begin selling new cars through the e-commerce powerhouse in what appears to be a limited promotion that could nevertheless presage a more permanent, national approach to selling cars online. Sales will begin Tuesday and go through Sept. 8, the companies said. It's not clear whether eBay sales will continue after that date, or whether GM is considering going national with the program.

GM or No GM......No More Ebay......
Posted by: NYM_Arts 2009-08-16 04:40:12 In reply to: Mike Pearson
Ebay ?
I don't go there anymore.
In a Room Full of Complete Strangers.....about 30 or so....every single one of them had a Horror story to tell about Ebay. They don't go there any more either. And when asked about the GM thing, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM said "No Way".
I must agree.
Car buying must remain a Personal, Face to Face transaction.

Right...
Posted by: nathan_t 2009-08-12 08:39:45 In reply to: Mike Pearson
Good luck with that. If I were a GM shareholder, I would be selling right now. Oh... wait... I guess I am, and I can't sell.

Buying cars is more than just "these are the specs, what price do you feel this car is worth."

GM will continue to attract only the price-sensitive customers if they continue to ignore the product side of the value equation and only talk about price. Even if they do cut their prices to the bone, customers will still expect a discount because, well, that's what you do at a Chevy store.

Buying a car is about more than here it is, wanna buy it. It's smells, feels, and most importantly, how does it drive.

Once upon a time I worked at a Toyota store which tried the online sales model. Absolutely no sales were made on the web. No cars at all. Even with Toyotas, which don't require a lot of pushing to get people to buy.
Jump to:
I am most loyal to brands that...
Give the best value for my money
Have helpful and friendly staff
Operate an easy-to-use website
Provide fast, knowledgeable responses to questions
Support causes that I believe in