Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Remember That Thing Called, Uh, Napster?

Re: Remember That Thing Called, Uh, Napster?
Posted by: Keith Regan 2001-08-23 19:46:05
See Full Story

Well, Napster seemed like a good idea at the time. And shortly after Bertelsmann
announced it was buying Napster, it seemed like a great idea.

Napster usage rocketed through the roof, as people who had never downloaded music before
were burning CDs as if free copyrighted music were going out of style. And then it did
go out of style.

What about amatuars? [Was: Remember that thing called napster]
Posted by: sheer 2003-11-02 07:07:55 In reply to: Keith Regan
My biggest concern is how Napster supports recording amatuar individuals, which have just as much right to be available in a peer-to-peer enviornment.
I sent a email inquiring about this to several of the addresses on napster's web site, and got no answer. None. Zero. I may download the software. I may wait until it is clear that this issue is resolved. I currently share via HTTP.. mostly posts in my livejournal.
But I have as much right to share - to be allowed to 'transmit' - as anyone.
I'm concerned Napster (now owned by the people it was helping us fight), if accepted, may kill the Napster dream - a network where anyone who can author, can send out into the great black timeless void that is peer-to-peer networking.. back up their content, the notes of their souls, in the hopes that somewhere, somewhen, the people who like it happen to listen to it.
I don't want peer to peer because of the big-label, big-name content.
I want it because of me.. and Big Spoon, a local band I like who aren't signed to any label.
You can do that now, you know. You can create.. and yes, even publish - content without being affiliated with a label.
So Napster better be open about accepting amatuar content - and they better have a clear position on their page stating this soon - or I'll never use them.
Just what I needed, another way for the labels to censor (and exploit) the artists. Thanks, but no thanks, Napster.

Posted by: Dan Ninerell 2001-08-24 15:40:27 In reply to: Keith Regan
As a "former" Napster user, I read your article with great interest.

I think you touched on a nerve, but did not quite hit it.

I feel that it was not so much as people thought they were being trendy using this underground software, it was new, it was exciting, it was FREE.

Then Corporate America steps in and ruins the whole game for everybody. You are either on one side or the other in regards to this "pirating"
issue.

Yes, we feel musicians need a break and must be compensated for their art, but I always used Napster to try a new group, and see if I liked them before wasting $15.00 on a CD at the record store. If I liked the songs, I bought the music.

Napster for me was an interesting phenomena.
Although time has shown that the free information model is not working, and that technology companies are adopting the subscription based model, I cannot and will not be a party to this.

Posted by: steve 2001-08-24 13:26:26 In reply to: Keith Regan
It wasn't because it became "above-board" that Napster declined, it was because 1) threat of legal action against those doing a lot of sharing, and 2) since Napster looked like it was doomed, many moved to other sharing services. These aren't as fast or as easy, though, so the momentum was greatly diluted. Querying a few friends of a journalist is not a good way to assess mass sentiment.
Jump to:
Given the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant, if my employer requires me to return to the company's location in 2021, I will...
Agree because I'm fully vaccinated.
Agree if the company institutes a mandatory mask requirement and other safety protocols.
Comply reluctantly, because I can't afford to lose my job, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job I feel is safer.
Resign because I'm not vaccinated and don't want to risk infection to myself or others.