Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Report: $525M in E-tail Sales Tax Not Collected in 1999

Re: Report: $525M in E-tail Sales Tax Not Collected in 1999
Posted by: Mary Hillebrand 2001-08-21 12:13:29
See Full Story

The Internet tax debate was injected with a measure of reality this week as Forrester Research, Inc. claimed that local and state governments in the United States passed up $525 million (US$) in 1999 tax revenues from Internet sales.

Re: Report: $525M in E-tail Sales Tax Not Collected in 1999
Posted by: Paul 2001-08-21 12:43:16 In reply to: Mary Hillebrand
It seems contradictory to me that on one hand the government is bragging about a tax surplus, yet complaining that billions of dollars will be ultimately "lost" in uncollected tax revenue.
I realize that state sales tax is different than income tax, yet the theory is the same. We are an overtaxed society. Our founding fathers established this country on the premise of a free society, not a taxation till death do us part.

Leave the internet alone. Let's encourage spending and allow the market forces themselves to determine prices and competitive structures.

Paul

Jump to:
Given the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant, if my employer requires me to return to the company's location in 2021, I will...
Agree because I'm fully vaccinated.
Agree if the company institutes a mandatory mask requirement and other safety protocols.
Comply reluctantly, because I can't afford to lose my job, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job I feel is safer.
Resign because I'm not vaccinated and don't want to risk infection to myself or others.