Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Did Community Die with Theglobe.com?

Re: Did Community Die with Theglobe.com?
Posted by: Charlyn Keating Chisholm 2001-08-14 14:20:31
See Full Story

This month's passing of Theglobe.com started me thinking about community. I reminisced
about the chaotic time, a few short years ago, when so many new sites appeared at
once. Every Web site began the struggle to be heard above the din.

Studies showed that the average consumer visited only a handful of
sites on a regular basis. Every marketer had to ask the question:
How do we get on the publicís radar?

Posted by: Darryl Cross 2001-09-03 00:51:04 In reply to: Charlyn Keating Chisholm
The problem with the concept of community as applied by many of these sites is that they have the definition all wrong.

The definition of a community (according to Cambridge) is "...the people living in one particular area or people who are considered as a unit because of their common interests..."

The problem faced by these sites is that by relying strictly on a virtual community, communities are easily replaced by the next site out there. However, companies that bolster their existing face to face relationships between community members with an online component will have the real success.

The problem with an online only community is that there is no true connection--the site is only a pool of info that many people come to visit. A true community takes people with existing common interests and allows them to form deeper relationships due to the communication advantages made possible by technology.

The online community is a supplement to those real world connections, not a tool to replace them.

Posted by: Fred Neumann 2001-08-23 15:47:07 In reply to: Charlyn Keating Chisholm
I wanna raise an issue here:

When you go to a community nowadays, is it a community from a company? Is it always the same community, and you are friends with the ones who participate?
Or you visit a community section, depending if a certain news attracts you, like this one for example? And in this case, I've never met anyone who participates from this site's community, and never will maybe. Maybe I'll returrn, maybe not, but it will depend if I find a news from this site in one of the newsletters I signed up.

Cheers,

Fred Neumann
Marketing
Invent
www.invent.com.br
Rio de Janeiro-RJ
Brasil

Posted by: Jane 2001-08-22 05:42:13 In reply to: Charlyn Keating Chisholm
If community dies expect internet users to drop dramatically; my opinion.
Jump to:
How does the quality of customer service delivered by government compare to that of the private sector?
Government customer service is far superior.
Government customer service is slightly better.
Government and private sector customer service are about the same.
Private sector customer service is slightly better.
Private sector customer service is far superior.