Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: uBid Sued After Canceling Winning Bids

Re: uBid Sued After Canceling Winning Bids
Posted by: Lori Enos 2001-08-11 06:23:26
See Full Story

Online auction house uBid (Nasdaq: UBID) was sued Friday by group of bidders who claim that the Elk Grove Village, Illinois-based company defrauded them by canceling winning bids for high-dollar (US$) computer equipment.

uBid = uBad
Posted by: BillD 2005-10-13 17:39:26 In reply to: Lori Enos
Add my name to the others who have had purchases cancelled by uBid. Although frustrating, I've come to conclude that having a purchase cancelled by uBid is one step better than actually receiving the item from uBid. In my experience, uBid's "extended [dis]service" (okay, I've added a "dis") are worthless. Here's my latest experience....Having purchased several items from uBid over the past several years (i.e., two computers, a 50" HD plasma), I have finally decided that the marginally less expensive price on many (but not all) items on uBid is simply not worth the aggravation that one experiences when attempting to obtain warranty support. Most recently, I purchased a Sony laptop computer with a 2 year extended warranty. When the power supply failed 14 months after purchase, I contacted uBid for warranty support, but was told that their records indicated that I had purchased only a 1 year warranty. Two months after faxing my original receipt which specified my purchase of a 2 year "on-site" warranty, uBid relented and, after 6 more weeks, sent me a box to ship the computer to the "on-site" repair in Texas (I live in PA). Regrettably, the computer sat at the repair site for several months without being repaired and, when I contacted the repair service, was initially told that they did not have my computer. Although my computer was eventually found at the repair site, it was out of warranty and uBid refused to repair it, despite the fact that the failure had occurred during the warranty period. Although the prices at uBid may offer a marginal discount from other retailers, I strongly encourage you to consider the importance of local warranty support. uBid could not possibly be worse in this regard. To uBid buyers, a BIG beware. Given my experience, and those of several colleagues, uBid might consider rebranding as uBad.

Posted by: jeffp_north 2002-01-09 02:03:15 In reply to: Lori Enos
I have a story and I am having problems with UBID.

If you sue, contact me

Posted by: P Young 2001-12-31 13:29:33 In reply to: Lori Enos
I have to wonder how outdated those computers will be by the time this is settled in court.

Posted by: Mark 2001-08-21 19:37:51 In reply to: Lori Enos
Look's like Ubid feels it can do this to anybody!
They did a simular thing to a group this month.
We have joined together to fight and there may be another lawsuit coming at Ubid.com.
This is the board we have started to tell our story and exchange information.http://www.mshepherd.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Posted by: James 2001-12-27 16:29:59 In reply to: Mark
They did this to me as well. If another class action is started, I want to be a part of it. UBid seems to feel that they don't have any obligation to fulfill their part of the auction agreement, which, with them being the seller, defeats the whole idea of an auction.
Jump to:
What was your initial reaction to news of the Colonial Pipeline cyberattack?
It demonstrates that all critical infrastructure sectors are at high risk of disruption by cybercriminals.
Everyone will be paying for this attack in the form of higher energy costs.
Governments need to work more closely with private industries to protect networks for the sake of public safety.
It's a global problem. An international alliance must be formed to hold the perpetrators accountable and prevent future attacks.