Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Robots and the Law: Will the Real Inventor Please Stand Up?

Re: Robots and the Law: Will the Real Inventor Please Stand Up?
Posted by: Robert W. Stevenson, Joseph F. Murphy
& Thomas J. Clare
2009-04-28 08:37:02
See Full Story

Earlier this month, the journal Science published a report about a robot that could
formulate hypotheses, perform experiments to test those hypotheses, and thereby contribute to scientific knowledge. This technological advance raises legal concerns: Based on current law, if a robot conceived the idea for an "invention," this invention might not have the possibility for patent protection in the United States, possibly leaving the owner or lessee of the robot to depend only on Trade Secret law for the protection of the invention.

Robot invention
Posted by: XrayVision 2009-11-10 15:24:13 In reply to: Robert W. Stevenson, Joseph F. Murphy
& Thomas J. Clare
Corporations are already legally considered "persons" for many aspects of the law. While I think that is ridiculous, it is pretty much settled. A robot is a more realistic person than a corporation, so I don't see how it can't eventually come to be.

Robots and patent laws.
Posted by: DracX 2009-11-10 02:21:53 In reply to: Robert W. Stevenson, Joseph F. Murphy
& Thomas J. Clare
This article made me think about the possibility of a new form of laws (patent law), concerning robots, and their inventions. Very interesting story to say the least.
Jump to:
When considering a new smartwatch, which feature set is most important to you?
Alerts and Notifications
Calls and Messaging
Clock and Time Tracking
Contactless Payments and Banking
Design and Personalization
GPS and Maps
Health and Fitness
Music and Video
Women in Tech