Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Why Can't E-Commerce Close The Sale?

Re: Why Can't E-Commerce Close The Sale?
Posted by: ECT News 2001-07-31 18:06:47
See Full Story

It appears there is a whole lot of window surfing
going on at e-tail Web sites and not enough buying.

Why can't e-commerce close the sale? What's
so alluring about the brick-and-mortar environment?
Especially when the real-world store is selling the
same merchandise at a higher price?
These questions keep cropping up, demanding an
answer.

Posted by: Graham Ball 2001-08-09 11:09:37 In reply to: ECT News
I think we're missing the point.

The big deal is "Trust" - people (i.e. non-geeks) just don't trust online shops. The media is full of failure stories and pessimism and the general opinion is "if they can't run their business, how can I trust them with my money?"

There are a number of additional reasons:

- you can't touch or feel the goods

- (normally) no service

- very difficult returns (postage, time, shipping)

- people feel unsafe paying over the web

- poeple worry about being bombarded with advertising after having bought something online.

Until online shops can make up for these deficits, people won't buy. Making up for this can take different forms - free returns, live chat-based service or, most importantly, low prices.

Closing the sale? What have you done to deserve it?
Posted by: Yann 2001-08-07 04:29:51 In reply to: ECT News
Too much focus on kids! Do you realise that most of us are not interested in selling to the soon to be adults or just wait for their Credit Card?

No, the main point is CREDIBILITY and closing the sale. You have to adapt to your targeted clients and offer an environment that answers their needs. My website is designed to sell to women 40-65yo, thus to fit the surfing pattern AND ACQUIRE CREDIBILITY I have to put a lot of text, articles and nice pictures. Why? Because women like to read about the things they may buy and showing your knowledge of the product, the techniques and presenting the artists (I sell Art of the Table and Decoration pieces) will bring you credibility. A basic online catalog just won't do for my "soon to be clients". The drawback? A lot of content to create, which means time, which means money. But content creates keywords... [thus can be seen as a marketing effort too!] After earning credibility, you then have to close the sale: you have to finish your articles with "call to action" verbs, symbols, buttons, navigation patterns without forcing too much the hand.
In other words, you can simplify all that by saying that FOCUS (on your market cluster) will drive your web development (to create a adapted surfing experience) which in turn will bring credibility and it would be up to you to close the sale smoothly. Don't complain if you don't close the sale without having those rules of thumbs followed since CLOSING THE SALE IS THE FINAL STEP IN A PRECISE (AND ADAPTED) PROCESS.
Sincerely,

Yann
Focus->Design->Credibility->Call2Action->Sale!

Posted by: Fraser 2001-08-02 22:36:32 In reply to: ECT News
It has been my experience new technologies and procedures to make online purchasing a breeeze are not readily embraced by e-tailers or service providers.
Generally they wish to stick to the established mode of operation which has ben in place for remote purchasing for a hundred years. This is not conducive to encouraging on-line purchasing.
New systems ARE available specifically designed for the the new environment.
It has not been good enough to provide a website and just leave everything else to the horse and cart.

Posted by: DAN 2001-08-02 07:49:20 In reply to: ECT News
I agree that buying online is easy, but when one buys a product online, they still are sure exactly what they are getting.

Posted by: ziya erdem 2001-08-02 03:11:31 In reply to: ECT News
There is one more point that everyone is missing on why can't e-commerce close the sale. That is, you purchase the goods or services in return for payment immediately (in fact in some cases you pay after you get) in real life. This is impossible on the net and furthermore you have to wait a couple of days in order to receive what you have bought. This is human nature and a shopping habit. When this habit starts changing (as it already has in teens) users will be closing the sales.

Posted by: Larry 2001-08-01 16:16:34 In reply to: ECT News
Ecommerce can't close the sale for the following reasons:

- Ecommerce pricing is rarely cheaper than brick and mortar.
- Customer service is generally deplorable, even if it isn't actually worse than customer service in total, the perception is that it is (and rightly so)
- Shipping is a pain, it cost $$$, I have to wait for it - and in many cases, if I'm not home to sign for it, I have to wait, or go get it anyway
- Sites for "browsing" merchandise are still a long way from emulating the shopping experience
- Payment method is inhibiting
- Finding an online store for a particular product isn't worth the effort
- Overall, taking into consideration the above notes, it's a very unsatisfactory experience.

Posted by: Jim 2001-08-01 14:09:49 In reply to: ECT News
eCommerce sites have a great opportunity with teens. Look at today's spending habits of the average teen and the lure becomes that much stronger. There needs to be another alternative for this segment to be able to spend on line aside from a credit card, whether that is a proprietary e-dollars account or one of those services which provide the concept of internet money. These accounts would be replenished before sales could be made. The pay as you go direction would be very similar to paying with cash. I am surprised that this approach has not been taken with lightning-speed implementation.

Posted by: HODGES 2001-08-01 16:51:02 In reply to: Jim
On-line banking will resolve this. If the teenager has a bank account that is set up, then he could transfer money into his account at the department store. The left over money could either stay in his account at the department store or be transferred back to his bank account. This is one remedy that will allow teenagers to buy on the net, since they do most of the surfing.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.