Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Netflix Blows Up Blu-ray Pricing

Re: Netflix Blows Up Blu-ray Pricing
Posted by: Michael Liedtke 2009-03-31 14:00:01
See Full Story

Online DVD rental leader Netflix is raising its prices for Blu-ray discs in a change that will triple or quadruple the high-definition surcharge on Netflix's most popular subscription plans. The new rates announced Monday are being driven by the growing appetite for the Blu-ray format among Netflix's more than 10 million subscribers. About 1 million of the subscribers are requesting Blu-ray discs instead of standard DVDs, and Blu-ray discs cost about 30 percent more.

Cancelled my NetFlix Blu-Ray option
Posted by: ssarull 2009-03-31 14:18:23 In reply to: Michael Liedtke
For my $8.99 Netflix base plan, paying the new $2 premium for Blu-ray equals 22% increase in the monthly fee. Quiet honestly, I haven't seen "22% better picture" with my Blu-Ray discs. On my Sony 1080p LCD and upscaling Blu-Ray player, standard DVDs look pretty darn good.

$2 isn't going to make or break my budget, and I assume Netflix is banking on that mentality of its customer. But in principle, why pay for something I don't need.
Jump to:
How does the quality of customer service delivered by government compare to that of the private sector?
Government customer service is far superior.
Government customer service is slightly better.
Government and private sector customer service are about the same.
Private sector customer service is slightly better.
Private sector customer service is far superior.