Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Prosecution Hits Choppy Water in Case Against The Pirate Bay

Re: Prosecution Hits Choppy Water in Case Against The Pirate Bay
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2009-02-17 17:11:17
See Full Story

Swedish prosecutors have dismissed about half the charges brought against defendants accused of copyright violations through their operation of a P2P Web site that connects users to content -- mainly music and movies -- on other users' PCs. Last year, the owners of The Pirate Bay -- a Sweden-based Web site that's reportedly one of the world's largest BitTorrent trackers -- were charged with "promoting other people's infringement of copyright laws."

Interpritation of the law
Posted by: djronster 2009-05-20 01:09:04 In reply to: Erika Morphy
The Swedish prosecutors, along the lines of our Supreme Court, argue that inducing others to bad acts and contributing to those acts make you liable.

This is a great comment from the Swedish prosecutors. Does this mean that all car companies are responsible for causing millions of people around the world to get speeding fines or in some cases go to prison. The provide cars which are capable of exceeding the speed limit, all we do is drive them, so are they inducing the driver to drive fast?
Jump to:
Would you license your personal data to advertising platforms if you were paid directly for it?
Yes -- So much of my personal data is already in the hands of advertisers anyhow; I may as well be paid for it.
Possibly -- It depends how much I would be compensated and how the data I authorize to share would be used and protected.
No -- I would not sell my personal data at any price.