Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Changing Times Threaten to Stop the Presses in Chicago

Re: Changing Times Threaten to Stop the Presses in Chicago
Posted by: F.N. D'Alessio 2009-01-04 19:36:31
See Full Story

A little more than a century ago, Chicago boasted 11 daily English-language newspapers. The fierce competition among them, immortalized in the 1928 play "The Front Page," even turned bloody at times, and that drive to outdo one another led to 35 Pulitzer Prizes, journalism's highest honor. Today, only two major dailies remain in this city of 3 million, and both are in serious trouble from declining circulation, plummeting ad revenue and a new kind of competition that threatens to make newsprint itself obsolete. Suddenly, "Stop the presses!" carries new meaning.

Loss of print
Posted by: geofbrewer 2009-01-04 19:45:07 In reply to: F.N. D'Alessio
My own daily paper has been downsized and the price went up. My dad at one time subscribed to two dailies. I read them both as a teen. I use to buy the Tribune while living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I still have a clipping from a review of a Chet Atkins record and a photo of Les Paul next to the review. I can only look at a monitor, even and LCD, for only so long. What would we do for in-depth analysis?
Jump to:
I am most loyal to brands that...
Give the best value for my money
Have helpful and friendly staff
Operate an easy-to-use website
Provide fast, knowledgeable responses to questions
Support causes that I believe in