Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Sony Can Make the PS3 for Less, but Does It Matter?

Re: Sony Can Make the PS3 for Less, but Does It Matter?
Posted by: Jeff Meisner 2008-12-30 14:40:27
See Full Story

Sony has drastically reduced the production costs associated with its PlayStation 3 video game console by 35 percent, according to information technology researcher
iSuppli. The latest generation of the PS3 costs just under $450 per unit to produce, down 35 percent from the prior generation's production cost of nearly $700 per unit, iSuppli said. The steep reduction in PS3 production costs has some industry watchers wondering whether Sony will institute a price cut for the console, which costs $399 in stores.

Article is confused on release dates:
Posted by: jordanlund 2008-12-31 01:50:58 In reply to: Jeff Meisner
From the article:

"The PS3 first hit the market in November 2006, long after the Wii and the Xbox 360."

Uh, no, no it didn't. True, the Xbox 360 came out in November of 2005, giving it a one year jump on the PS3...

The Wii, on the other hand, launched on November 19th, 2006. That's two days AFTER the PS3 launched. (North American release dates).

Now if you're talking about Europe, you'd be correct. Sony delayed the launch of the console there until the following year. But that had more to do with properly supplying the Japanese and American launches more than any hardware constraint.

This story came out over a week ago and then as a multitude of articles came out yesterday (from major mainstream news papers and websites like the Wall Street Journal) talking about the non-gay friendly environment in Sony's Home and reiterating CNN-Money's earlier talk about the PS3 being a sinking ship Sony used what they had, this previously released presser, to attempt to try and change the subject from how bad they might be doing to this tale of how they are almost not losing any cash on each system sold. I watch as it happened on Google news feed, subject Sony, story by date from Monday morning up until now. Thanks for being the only source I have seen so far call Sony on this news not really being something that will effect their company's bottom line...
Jump to:
Which review rating influences you most when researching a business?
5 Stars - I want to know what others found amazing.
4 Stars - I want to find out why it's liked for the most part, but not without faults.
3 Stars - I want to understand why the business is neither loved nor hated.
2 Stars - I want to learn why the weaknesses outweigh the strengths.
1 Star - I want to know why anybody says they are completely dissatisfied with the business.