Report: The State of E-Commerce Integration 2020 » Download Today
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Is the World Hungry for Online Pizza?

Re: Is the World Hungry for Online Pizza?
Posted by: ECT News 2001-03-29 07:56:42

See Full Story

When it comes to the Web, groceries are one thing, and not a very
promising one at that. But what about prepared foods?
It's possible that your corner pizza store could be quietly
writing an e-commerce success story.

In fact, hundreds of pizza shops are using the Web effectively. Some
are going it alone, but many are using a Chicago, Illinois-based firm called
QuikOrder.com. QuikOrder says it is on target to handle US$10 million worth of
online pizza sales this year. That's up from a few thousand dollars
worth in 1999.

Posted by: bit-o-data 2002-09-27 17:31:58 In reply to: ECT News
Online pizza sounds great. If you already live online at the office, on the phone and with laptops, and the coming of always-on wireless hotspots it makes sense. Listen to the scenario:
A mom on the way home calls the kids. Mom says, "what do you want for dinner". Kids say, "Pizza, Pizza, Pizza!" The kids get online and order dinner and she picks it up without skipping a beat. It would be even better if Mom could actually order through a cell phone ordering system.

Posted by: Tom_G 2002-09-21 16:46:43 In reply to: ECT News
In visiting QuickOrder.com it would appear to be operated strictly by/for Domino's. The login asks for ZIP code, then informs me the service is not available in my area. Is this any way to encourage sales? There is a Domino's within 1/2 mile of me, I would think they would if nothing else forward the order by fax or automated voice dial-up. Also, if this is suppose to be a site that represents other pizza shops, why only Domino's information?

Posted by: Nick 2001-08-22 13:33:00 In reply to: ECT News
I think it's a great idea. Actually, I am in the process of setting up a site for the Hungry Howie's that I work at. It frees up the phone lines and cuts down on the amount of time that people are put on hold. You also don't have to put up with those annoying "What kind of pizza do you guys have?" calls.

Posted by: Todd 2001-03-31 22:55:40 In reply to: ECT News
I think that this idea is great! If you look at the demo format for this site, you can see that they require the customer to fill out all the information before you order the pizza. In addition, you get an email response back from the Dominoe's Pizza place that your order was sent to. You can't go wrong filling out this order, and there should not be any questions to ask later either. You can see any specials that are currently going on and choose exactly how and when you want your pizza delivered.

Posted by: Dorothy 2001-03-29 23:26:58 In reply to: ECT News
As an owner of a busy pizza restaurant, I can't imagine anything worse than orders coming in on line. When we answer the phone, we can make sure we have every bit of information we need. When customers fax in orders they are almost always incomplete or have requests that we cannot always
fill. My opinion - it could be my worst nightmare because there is a limit to what you can do with fresh food. Conveyor belt, poor quality pizza might work, but it's not for me !

Posted by: Alph 2001-03-29 08:17:08 In reply to: ECT News
Seems like a good idea to me, but it could be even more functionally applied for other types of food-delivery providers. For instance, many Chinese carry-outs also deliver, and often telephone communication of the order falls short of its goal. An online menu could solve that problem. Also, menues could be provided online (for any type of food) in the user's choice of languages, with specific information about each dish. It's an idea whose time has (almost) come.
Jump to:
Which of these tech skills will provide the best career opportunities during the next five years?
Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning
Augmented Reality / Virtual Reality
Blockchain
Cloud Computing
Cybersecurity
Data Analytics / Data Science
Digital Marketing
Edge Computing / Internet of Things
IT Support
Mobile or Web Application Development