Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Suckers for Spam: When Will They Ever Learn?

Re: Suckers for Spam: When Will They Ever Learn?
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2008-12-03 14:24:06
See Full Story

The old adage about a sucker being born every minute is no less true among respondents to spam. Dishonest people have always been trying to make a fast buck by duping others into confidence scams, and the Web has give those people an easy way to communicate with more potential marks. However, modern-day scam artists may be capable of making a faster buck from a lot fewer suckers. A recent study on spamming operations showed that spammers only need a response from one sucker out of every 12.5 million e-mails sent, usually by way of botnets and malware-infected computers.

Numbers
Posted by: devonbland 2008-12-03 14:28:27 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
If those were the sales ratios for any other kind of business no one would even dare do that kind of business. Those numbers are horrible. I would love to meet Mr. 1 out of 12.5 million. I'd be curious to know the kind of person that buys from spam! All you can do these days really is make sure you have a decent spam filter like SpamBully or spam bayes.
Jump to:
Which in-person activity do you most want to resume when the pandemic is over?
Attend my place of worship
Frequent bars, clubs or restaurants
Gather with family or friends
Go to entertainment or sporting events
Join colleagues at work or business events
Participate in group athletics or exercise
Return to my school
Take my children to their school
Travel
Visit my health practitioners