Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: The Still-Simmering Net Neutrality Debate

Re: The Still-Simmering Net Neutrality Debate
Posted by: Paul Korzeniowski 2008-11-29 18:20:08
See Full Story

The Internet is the greatest technical development of the 20th century, and its open competition model has been the envy of other market sectors. Internet advances are being crushed by monopolistic carriers who are more concerned with censoring content than delivering services to customers. Those disparate statements sum up the positions of the two sides squaring off in an increasingly contentious debate about the Internet's future. On one side of the debate are ISPs, which are trying to build viable business models for delivering their services in a rapidly evolving marketplace.

"Net neutrality" isn't
Posted by: Blackberry 2008-11-29 18:29:29 In reply to: Paul Korzeniowski
The most important thing to remember about "network neutrality" is that the term itself is deceptive. The groups that are lobbying for it claim to be "public interest" groups but are largely funded and supported by certain corporations -- especially Google/Doubleclick. This large corporation doesn't want, for example, to see the tracking cookies that it uses to spy on users' Web browsers blocked by ISPs which are seeking to protect their users' privacy. So, they're lobbying for legislation that gives them an edge -- that's hardly neutral! The ISPs, for their part, mostly just want to keep the cost of service to users down to a reasonable level. Internet bandwidth can be very expensive, and users who hog bandwidth can not only degrade service for everyone but also cause the provider to lose money. Being able to charge more for service that costs more -- as is done in every other industry -- just makes sense, just as charging more for a larger serving of ice cream makes sense. But the "network neutrality" lobbyists are, irrationally, lobbying to prevent even this. It's a crazy debate, and it's important to follow the money to understand it.
Jump to:
Which type of digital advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Ads based on my interests
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
Audio ads
Email ads from sources I've authorized to contact me
Informational articles on products/services
Social media ads
Straightforward banner ads
Video ads