Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Ruminations on Microsoft's Future

Re: Ruminations on Microsoft's Future
Posted by: Dana Gardner 2008-11-06 10:44:50
See Full Story

In this episode of BriefingsDirect Insights Edition, our experts examine the state of Microsoft at the onset of the annual Professional Developers Conference. Two narratives emerge from our roundtable discussion, that Microsoft is behind on many new IT trends and is tied to past business models. The opposing view is that Microsoft will ride pedestrian app dev, business intelligence, data services, Xbox, unified communications, virtualization and cloud computing to become bigger and more pervasive than ever.

Comment on Gardner's comment..
Posted by: Kagehi 2008-11-06 10:58:33 In reply to: Dana Gardner
You're kidding right? Ok, from the perspective of some shlub that doesn't have a clue why the system works, or just why its "not" efficient, you could be right. Not having to learn anything seems to the be the mantra in the US of everyone from computer users to the nimrod that barely passed grade school and needs the local hardware store to explain to them that the little hole on the spray can needs to be pointed "away" from their face when painting. Problem is, this perception is getting to be more and more irrelevant to a large segment of the population. People like me already can't stand being told "it works great", when it simply doesn't, and the next generation of kids growing up with ubiquitous computer technology are, at some point, going to inevitably figure out that "efficiency" and "cost" do not *just* mean, "I can sit down at it, and expect it to have all the same bugs I learned to work around, and crash at a consistent rate, thus making it easy to just start working", and, "I can buy this stuff in bulk, and the company may give me free stuff, so somehow spending X dollars per copy means I am spending less than if I bought it at Y per copy." It also means, can the thing do what you need in the first place, and not just what the company you got it from **thinks** you needed, and what is it going to end up costing you to maintain, upgrade, etc.

Well... the answer to those with MS has tended to be "no, unless you install something made by someone else", and, "Damn, now we have all these machines, I guess its going to cost a huge chunk of money to upgrade to Windows Blah next year, maybe we will get real lucky and manage to cajole them into hanging on to it for 3-4 more years, so we can scrape together the cash needed to replace all the now useless hardware we have, which won't run it, not to mention the new licenses."

Productivity... that falls under the, "How much more do we have to spend "now" to make it do what we want. Or, from many people I have talked to, "How many restrictions are the people running IT going to put on this machine, so you get stuck using lame product A, because they won't let me use better product B, which does X,Y and Z faster than A, but can't do G, P or Q?" The single "integrated" product does not always mean that "that" product is the best for the job, just.. the easiest to deal with.
Jump to:
Given the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant, if my employer requires me to return to the company's location in 2021, I will...
Agree because I'm fully vaccinated.
Agree if the company institutes a mandatory mask requirement and other safety protocols.
Comply reluctantly, because I can't afford to lose my job, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job I feel is safer.
Resign because I'm not vaccinated and don't want to risk infection to myself or others.