Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Analyst: Amazon to Kindle Market for E-Textbooks

Re: Analyst: Amazon to Kindle Market for E-Textbooks
Posted by: Renay San Miguel 2008-08-25 19:04:34
See Full Story

In a move that could free up backpack space on college campuses nationwide, Amazon is reportedly looking to enter the school textbook market with the release of a new, student-friendly version of its Kindle electronic book reader. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer quotes a McAdams Wright Ragen analyst as saying that the company is already at work on new Kindles and sees an opportunity in the $5.5 billion textbook market. Amazon has previously confirmed that there will be Kindle updates but isn't commenting on targeting specific markets.

Hurdles to Overcome, but Neat Idea
Posted by: giftbird 2008-08-25 19:22:08 In reply to: Renay San Miguel
I give Amazon props for entering a relatively unknown market. The whole idea is really neat. Since college, I've strayed away from libraries completely due to the unnecessary time it takes to research. With the Internet at my fingertips, I can find just about any answer faster and check several sources for accuracy almost simultaneously.

That said, the Amazon Kindle will make surfing through pages of text far quicker. It might even make open book exams completely unfair.
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition