Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick Amazon Compliance Guide
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: XM, Sirius Pick Up Marriage License

Re: XM, Sirius Pick Up Marriage License
Posted by: JR Raphael 2008-07-28 12:30:11
See Full Story

The two giants of satellite radio are about to become one. The FCC has approved the merger of XM and Sirius, ending a year-and-a-half struggle to finalize the deal. The move will give the newly combined company unprecedented power in the world of satellite communications; however, it will come with some strict conditions as well. The merger, approved by a three to two vote Friday night, is designed to offer customers "greater flexibility and choices" at lower prices, FCC Chairman Kevin Martin said.

Two Negative Moves
Posted by: SteveFrunkis 2008-07-28 13:10:38 In reply to: JR Raphael
I see two down sides to what has transpired:
(1) The obvious monopoly created for national subscription radio service.
(2) The misguided attempt by the FCC to mitigate this concern by getting into the realm of content regulation by insisting on "public interest channels". This will inevitably lead to occasional scrutiny of content in order to ensure compliance - a slippery slope for satellite radio. In addition, this mandate will use up valuable limited bandwidth. (As it is whenever the holiday music season arrives, XM has to take other stations off the air or reduce their operating hours in order to free up bandwidth for Jingle Bell Rock.)
Jump to:
Would you license your personal data to advertising platforms if you were paid directly for it?
Yes -- So much of my personal data is already in the hands of advertisers anyhow; I may as well be paid for it.
Possibly -- It depends how much I would be compensated and how the data I authorize to share would be used and protected.
No -- I would not sell my personal data at any price.