A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Workplace Text-Messaging Ruling Wows Privacy Advocates

Re: Workplace Text-Messaging Ruling Wows Privacy Advocates
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2008-06-20 14:26:09
See Full Story

A ruling by a three-judge panel in the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has
established new privacy rights for employees who use employer-issued cell phones, pagers and computers to send personal text messages. The judges upheld the verdict in Quon v. Arch Wireless, which determined that if an employer contracts with an outside provider for messaging -- as most do -- it does not have the right to ask the service provider for transcripts of the text messages employees send out. The same concept can be applied to e-mail communications.

multiple disclaimers
Posted by: benjaminwrigh 2008-07-23 04:41:21 In reply to: Erika Morphy
The Quon case may give employers incentive to broadcast multiple, repetitive privacy disclaimers. --Ben Wright http://hack-igations.blogspot.com/2008/06/employee-imtexte-mailvoicecomputerinter.html
Jump to:
Would you license your personal data to advertising platforms if you were paid directly for it?
Yes -- So much of my personal data is already in the hands of advertisers anyhow; I may as well be paid for it.
Possibly -- It depends how much I would be compensated and how the data I authorize to share would be used and protected.
No -- I would not sell my personal data at any price.