Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: AP Wants to School Bloggers on Copyright Law

Re: AP Wants to School Bloggers on Copyright Law
Posted by: Keith Regan 2008-06-18 05:29:05
See Full Story

Seeking to protect its own business model, The Associated Press is hoping to clarify what constitutes fair use of the content is publishes online, with plans to lay out guidelines for bloggers on how much content they can quote. The AP, which bills itself as the world's largest and oldest news-gathering organization, hopes to bring clarity to the "fair use" provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. In doing so, the wire service would also be protecting its core business in a rapidly evolving media landscape.

AP and DMCA
Posted by: surfyngirl 2008-06-18 06:42:06 In reply to: Keith Regan
Amazing-----According to this article, if I read it correctly, the great majority of bloggers link back to AP. I never thought anyone would want to turn down an opportunity to increase traffic to their website. Doesn't that also increase subscribers which = advertising sales? I guess I may be naive not being a heavy blogger. These days I get my news from the internet. Up until 1999, though, I read the paper. I always considered the AP a public entity or somewhat along the lines of a trademark much like Xerox or Kleenex (if that makes any sense). Maybe their way of thinking about all of this proves that they ARE dinosaurs. You know, speaking of links and advertising, I'm trying to remember how many links I followed from MSN to end up going through Google to find you and read a THOROUGH article with details (after many false titles which veered me to advertisers). *grin* Nice job. Nice content with your advertising too!
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads