Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Texas Tax Man May Cometh for Amazon

Re: Texas Tax Man May Cometh for Amazon
Posted by: Keith Regan 2008-05-12 10:30:23
See Full Story

The state of Texas may be the latest to take a bite out of Amazon's bottom line by assessing sales taxes on past purchases by state residents. Texas tax officials are reviewing the taxable status of Amazon purchases after an inquiry from the Dallas Morning News , which asked why the e-tailer appeared not to be collecting sales taxes from Lone Star State buyers. A landmark 1992 Supreme Court ruling gave states the ability to collect sales taxes from out-of-state retailers only in cases where the merchants have a physical presence within the state's borders.

ecommerce sales tax - state by state craziness
Posted by: elz 2008-05-12 10:39:02 In reply to: Keith Regan
this is a high profile case that might bring ecommerce sales-tax in line - I work with a CPA and consultant that does a lot around this subject, and the fact is that online sales get taxed differently in almost every state. Trying to get things level has been a challenge for some time, but maybe this is the beginning of a level playing field.

Also, Amazon could take a major hit due to their sheer sales volume, but smaller companies should know they have to watch out, too. They may owe sales-tax they don't even know about, and right now states can use this to find more dollars in a down economy.

Here are some links with info on this:

a short audiocast at
http://www.mfa-cpa.com/mfa-news-and-resources/thought-leadership/EcommerceSalesTax.mp3

and a Q&A/article at:
http://www.mfa-cpa.com/mfa-news-and-resources/thought-leadership/ECommerceSalesTax-May08.pdf

Hope it's helpful...
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads