Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: EC Group Could Spur Search Privacy Sea Change

Re: EC Group Could Spur Search Privacy Sea Change
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2008-04-09 03:21:40
See Full Story

An Opinion issued by the influential European Commission Article 29 Data Protection Working Party could have a major impact on the way search engines do business. The group's recommendations include discarding personal search data after six months, giving consumers the right to see data that search engines have collected about them, and making Internet protocol addresses personally identifiable information.
The group's recommendations do not have the force of law -- but they could very well make their way into EU legislation.

Google's database of search requests
Posted by: Alice-Sofia 2008-04-09 03:33:49 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Google's practice to retain search requests indefinitely should be encouraged, not forbidden, because the resulting database might facilitate finding patterns of knoweldge creation within the infonetworks, therefore, advancement of supportive and other services. Probably, addition to the formal agreement ("terms of use") with those who use Google's service would eliminate legal concerns. As a researcher, I would be happy to find in my mailbox or at web page Google's daily references to the latest info which now I have to spend time to find.
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads