Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: eBay Seller Revolt Gaining Traction

Re: eBay Seller Revolt Gaining Traction
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2008-02-13 06:09:10
See Full Story

eBay will be introducing its new fee schedule for sellers, along with some other administrative changes, on February 18th. Some sellers are so incensed over what they perceive as a raw deal, they're planning to boycott the iconic online auction site from February 18th through the 25th. Sellers have banded together to boycott eBay in the past, usually for the same reason: its ever-increasing fee schedule and, in the views of some, policies that ignore the needs of sellers.

eBay is just too expensive for mini small business!
Posted by: Apparelwoman 2008-11-30 04:32:24 In reply to: Erika Morphy
eBay is just too expensive for some small business or home based business. Try out great ecommerce called fastcommerce.... excellent ecommerce platform for just $30 for 2000 products. Lots of features, like volusion but not a lot of money....www.fastcommerce.com

Posted by: mystoredotcom 2008-03-01 22:11:01 In reply to: Erika Morphy
www.mystore.com is the greatest place to sell!! unlimited items for a flat fee of $8/month. No listing fees, no additional fees at all. $8/mo.

Posted by: JFFU 2008-03-04 09:27:57 In reply to: mystoredotcom
I have long held the opinion that I would not sell anything on Ebay due to the Nickle and Diming ones is subjected to!
I recommend Craigslist.com, a Private Seller may post for Free for 45 days. Anything that can be done to attract attention to continued EBay abuse, is a very good endeavor...

eBay Feedback solution
Posted by: auctionglider 2008-02-14 11:22:06 In reply to: Erika Morphy
As a Powerseller I was apalled and concerned when I heard the changes for feedback on eBay.
I quickly started searching the web for someplace else to sell. As I searched I realized there are no other viable places to sell and make a living using online auctions.
With that planted in my thick skull I started looking for a way to overcome at least some of the problems that will soon occur. I was able to find a new site called afterthegavel. They are offerring a place where sellers can leave neutral & negative feedback for buyers. If sellers participate it will create a new balance in the feedback system to replace to one that eBay is taking away.
Best of all it's FREE!!!!
Also they will not display the sellers user ID to the public only the buyers ID and the feedback left for them will be seen by the public.
Check it out and let me know what you think.
I think it is great!
I am not however delusional, the problems at eBay run much deeper than the feedback system. But at least this can minimize the effects of eBay's changes and give the sellers some of our power back.

Re: eBay Feedback solution
Posted by: GONEFROMEBAY 2008-02-20 05:28:02 In reply to: auctionglider
I see little use for afterthegavel.com, first few know about it, second it works only if you can post it on ebay and they will quash it. It has no effect on negative feedback left on ebay, the negative feed back blocks your auctions from the search engines damaging your chances of anyone seeing your auctions,this in itself is an unfair market practice giving advantage to others!
eBay still gets its fees but you don't sell your product, all a competitor has to do is buy one of your products, leave bad feedback and you are no longer competition or if they use dummy accounts leave multiple negatives and put you completely out of business! Our main focus is antique gun parts which eBay banned last year, that cut our business by 2/3rds We moved that aspect to GunBroker.com (Thank you eBay) Now we've gone to Onlineauction.com for the rest of our sales, I believe there is a chance this will become eBay's competition. Also we must stop using PayPal! An alternative is GearPay.com they will not hold your money for 21 days! they are also Pro Gun for those who sell in that market. they won't freeze your account for selling a gun part!

re: AFTERTHEGAVEL
Posted by: auctionglider 2008-05-06 10:29:41 In reply to: GONEFROMEBAY
If you are no longer on eBay why would you put down a site that is aimed to help eBay sellers?
www.AFTERTHEGAVEL.com is rapidly growing and as the changes take place will grow very very quickly.
As far as how it benifits the seller, it has always been a help to me to know if I am dealing with a problem buyer and this site will allow me to continue to have that resource. In addition to that as more sellers use the site and more buyers find out that their reputation is still out there for all to see they will be more likely to refrain from abusing sellers.

Posted by: TooUnfazed 2008-02-14 06:01:30 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Very good article that gets to the heart of the matter. The original success of Ebay was the perception by buyers and sellers that they were members of a community. We were on a playing field with simple to understand rules and every one had the chance to find a bargain, or become a success story selling bargains.
I started out on Ebay and Half.com from the inception, selling technical items for companies I consulted for, and kept my own bookshelves and technical gadgets down to a managable level. Then my granddaughters and I developed a small business model buying and selling fun-to-find doll and miniature items, including handmade miniature jewelry. We cleared at least $1000 a month, but to keep that level we had to put more and more time into it as the fees got out of hand.
We cancelled our accounts and dropped all our listings almost to the minute on receiving the latest news. We will do better developing our own website and having it hosted for about $40 a month, period. Implemented with Google checkout for payment, we can thus cut our work in half while still growing the business.
If anyone really wants to know what is truly going on, go to MSN money and do a search for insider trading. Then select the Ebay symbol. You will see exactly who has been selling off stock. Their confidence is just underwhelming!

Posted by: Floridatiques 2008-02-13 15:35:07 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Good riddance to EBay. Been buying and selling on there for 10 years. Tired of the fee hikes, forced use of Paypal but the feedback issue was the straw for me.

Posted by: removethisaccount 2008-02-13 08:10:14 In reply to: Erika Morphy
You did a fantastic Job Erika!! This Boycott is real and the people behind it are real...It doesn't matter to the new ceo, whom happens to make 900,000.00 a year that their policies will destroy the hard work and efforts that the small business man has put into this company... Without the Seller, there is no buyer...And then when we comment to them, they call us "noise"...Well, they need to listen to the "ROAR" that they've caused and watch the stocks continually drop... Their listings have dropped, and I see a better future for many without Ebay...Your article was AWESOME!!
Blessings,
Debi

Posted by: mrs_rlives 2008-02-13 19:04:41 In reply to: removethisaccount
Debipier, you forgot the CEO bonus package !!!
"The company filed details of compensation being offered to its new CEO, John Donahoe:
Salary: $900,000.
Bonus target: $1,125,000.
Long-term equity award: $8 million worth of stock options and restricted stock units.
Promotion award: $15 million worth of stock options and restricted stock units."
I can't find the words to express how I feel about that ......

Posted by: removethisaccount 2008-02-13 17:27:23 In reply to: removethisaccount
Seems as though Ebay is feeling the heat from the media as they are deleting messages on the community boards that are in favor of the
Boycott... There are over 8000 messages and they come in so fast that it's hard to keep up... They seem to delete them as quickly as they come in too!! I was one that was kicked off the board today because I was not being "a good community member" I have copies of the messages that were deleted and one was just rules for listing on the boards that was copied and pasted to the forum, according to the letter they sent me... So, I decided to list one last auction for them... Check it out, it's Item number: 150215813689 on ebay...
The censorship just causes more resentment and more people to join in and I am sure that on the 18th, Ebay will feel the "noise", as they refer to us... Anyone who really looks at the new rules they've posted for sellers would turn and run before they signed a contract that they offer to dealers...
Jump to:
Given the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant, if my employer requires me to return to the company's location in 2021, I will...
Agree because I'm fully vaccinated.
Agree if the company institutes a mandatory mask requirement and other safety protocols.
Comply reluctantly, because I can't afford to lose my job, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job I feel is safer.
Resign because I'm not vaccinated and don't want to risk infection to myself or others.