Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: How Strong Are Wii's Legs?

Re: How Strong Are Wii's Legs?
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2008-01-18 15:49:06
See Full Story

New stats confirm what many holiday shoppers already knew: Nintendo's Wii was the most popular game console of the season, with 1.35 million flying off shelves. Its popularity provided a huge boost to the industry, said the NPD Group, which issued the report. In 2007, the video game industry hauled in a record $17.9 billion in sales, 43 percent higher than the $12.5 billion record set in 2006. December, in particular, was a great month for the industry, with Microsoft and Sony also benefiting from consumers' avid interest in gaming.

Posted by: Epidemic 2008-01-20 11:02:45 In reply to: Erika Morphy
These articles have been running since the Wii came out, none of the so called experts thought that the Wii would sell so well but it's into its second year and is still the best selling console.
If it's the case that current software sales are an indication of a consoles lifespan then PS3 must be doomed as it has much lower software sales than Wii. Even its exclusives are not selling well with PS3 owners buying more movies than games.
2008 has big games coming for the Wii with SSBB, Mario Kart and Wii-Fit. There will be plenty of people playing those for sure.

Posted by: chris_barnes 2008-01-19 11:27:04 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Unless I am missing some, but none come to mind I have 20 games for Wii
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
Legend of Zelda : TP
Rayman Raving Rabbids*
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Wii Play
SSX Blur*
Super Paper Mario
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Resident Evil 4*
Mario Strikers Charged
Metroid Prime 3
Batallion Wars
Fire Emblem
Link's Crossbow Training
Super Mario Galaxy
Zack & Wiki*
Resident Evil: UC*
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2*
Scarface*
so 20 games, 7 3rd party... or 35% of my games are from a 3rd party developer, and next week I will definently be at 21 total and 8 3rd party when I grab No More Heroes
Clearly I have a few more games than the "average" Wii customer, but of all those games I still like the Nintendo made titles best as their level of polish is just that much more,they spent more time with the games and it shows, the only exception I would give to that is RE:4 but when you are on your 3rd version of the game it should be awesome without exception.
If 3rd parties are upset because more Nintendo games are selling on the Wii, it's their own fault, make better games and then market them, why should nintendo prop up another business but giving them marketing cash? they shouldn't. And seriouly 3rd parties shold not complain because they are competing with Mario, that's a simple and easy cop-out on their part.. it's like Sidney Crosby's Line mates compaining that they don't get the limelight when the star player has the puck... step up your game and get over it.
Jump to:
When considering a new smartwatch, which feature set is most important to you?
Alerts and Notifications
Calls and Messaging
Clock and Time Tracking
Contactless Payments and Banking
Design and Personalization
GPS and Maps
Health and Fitness
Music and Video