Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: The Image Spammer's New Bag of Tricks

Re: The Image Spammer's New Bag of Tricks
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2007-05-30 11:46:24
See Full Story

Senders of unsolicited electronic messages, also known as spammers, are outsmarting e-mail filters and other technologies designed to thwart them by deploying a new generation of image spam. Spammers are cutting corners through a process that links to an image or photo from a popular image hosting site, rather than attaching the spam message within an e-mail. This technique could significantly optimize image spam volume, according to Secure Computing's TrustedSource Labs.

Re: The Image Spammer's New Bag of Tricks
Posted by: mloman 2007-05-30 12:23:34 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
A new spam filter from the Netherlands is capable of detecting this kind of URL spam: Caretaker Antispam. Caretaker follows the link, downloads the image from the image hosting site and detects the bad words. The Caretaker site is still in Dutch only but the filter works ace! No need to train it, works right out of the box. http://www.caretaker.nl/downloads.htm
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads