Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Social Networking: Sharing or Sharecropping?

Re: Social Networking: Sharing or Sharecropping?
Posted by: John P. Mello Jr. 2007-05-28 08:54:09
See Full Story

Social networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook provide a means for many people to share their lives with others, but are they and other Webposts that are turning the free content of their subscribers into economic gain, a new form of sharecropping? It certainly seems that way, according to Nicholas G. Carr, author of Does IT Matter ."MySpace, Facebook and many other businesses have realized that they can give away the tools of production but maintain ownership over the resulting products," Carr said.

Re: Social Networking: Sharing or Sharecropping?
Posted by: Chatmag 2007-05-28 09:10:57 In reply to: John P. Mello Jr.
There is not a lot of difference between MySpace, Facebook, and the traditional discussion forums.
Forums are pretty flat, text only, while MySpace expands on that by offering other enhancements, but both serve the same purpose, communication.
Would Nick Carr (no relation that I know of) make the same statements regarding the hundreds of thousands of forums and chat rooms and IRC channels?
I notice that Nick Carr has a 'blog on his web site. With commenting enabled. I would think that commenting enhances the 'blog posts. Now all Nick Carr needs to do is have registration for users, and give them their own home page. He's already on the very road he is complaining about.
Pete Carr
Owner
Chatmag.com
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads