Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Internet TV: A Million Channels, Zero Cable Networks

Re: Internet TV: A Million Channels, Zero Cable Networks
Posted by: John P. Mello Jr. 2007-01-15 19:44:24
See Full Story

Within five years, cable and satellite television providers will be facing a formidable competitor in their market: the Internet. By 2011, TV programming delivered over consumer broadband connections will be a "viable alternative to cable," according to a report released Wednesday by Forrester Research. At that time, however, the market penetration for Internet delivery of programming -- what Forrester calls "over-the-top TV" (OTT-TV) -- will only be around 5 percent, according to the report.

Posted by: raj2007 2007-12-14 01:00:30 In reply to: John P. Mello Jr.
I agree that there are challenges to OTT-TV for acceptance by mainstream audiences. However, I would counter that America is country of immigrants from Europe, North, Central, & South America, and Asia. The internet and global telecommunications allow immigrants to stay connected to family and their culture. By way of an anecdote, my father was depressed and gravely ill. I decided to take him back to the land of his birth Trinidad. It was like returning back to the fountain of youth. When we came back the local TV Station in Trinidad by the name of Gayelle started streaming their programs on the internet. I bought a laptop with S-video output and an S-video to RCA cable and connected the laptop to the Television. Even though it was 20 degrees Fahrenheit outside with the heat turned up and TV from my father's homeland in his room at the assisted living facility we were both back at home in Trinidad. TV from Trinidad gave my father and me a few more years of life together that he would not have had without that connection to home. At the assisted living facility the night watchman would tell me that his wife rented Korean Soap Operas every week from the Korean Grocery store. From what I gather Korean Soap Operas are very popular in Asia. What I am saying is that there is already a market for Over the top tv. From what I can see the real drawback is that what I call the bundler of OTT-TV does not market to local businesses at the source of programming or the destination. In the U.S. there are Korean Super Markets, Latin American Grocery Stores, and International stores that cater to immigrant communities. These stores carry brands that are advertised in their country of origin. If the OTT-TV bundler inserted the name of the local store carry a brand of noodle at the end of the commercial or in a caption underneath or beside the video. Foreign manufacturer could drive sales to local stores and communities in the U.S. In other words a Foreign company with the local retailer buying advertising and Foreign Company paying for or encouraging their native TV content providers to upgrade their internet streaming equipment and bandwidth could increase U.S. sales. And if Closed Captioning in English was offered for the 1st and Nth generation immigrants and their English speaking friends the foreign companies could expand there markets in the U.S. even further.
I hope I have demonstrated in this long and rambling email that one simply does not want to sacrifice the good at the alter of the perfect especially when people are desperate for content in almost any form from their native country.
For completeness, if the OTT-TV content bundler does not keep track of addresses the content provider could ask users to register(opt in i.e. ask for zip code and capture the IP address from the web request) and then build a regional profile or a database subscribers and Content Providers. Use Census data find areas that would most likely be interested in foreign programming.
Then find businesses in that area that cater to a particular community, research local newspapers to find businesses that advertise and ask those businesses for a portion of their advertising budget. Do a promotion of the OTT-TV service at the business targeted to a particular community.
Ask the retailer to do Internet Streaming Specials if possible once the retailer sees results. Next Step approach the retailers importers or distributors and show them what OTT-TV can do for them. Finally, approach the Foreign manufacturer and show their management the value of OTT-TV however to increase their market share in the U.S. their local providers must invest in their internet infrastructure or in other words foreign manufactures should ask their local providers to sell them internet advertising slots for commercials.

Posted by: jackgzero 2007-01-15 20:14:41 In reply to: John P. Mello Jr.
I already look at some TV programming at wwitv.com and the major TV stations and networks supply some very high quality clips of news and promotional shorts. The best streaming quality I have seen so far has been from CBS News, but that may be a local phenomenon. (using DSL, Frontiernet, Rochester NY) There are other TV Portals, and they vary from lower quality than YouTube, to better than the regular TV signal.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.
Women in Tech