Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: What Everyone Needs to Know About SOA

Re: What Everyone Needs to Know About SOA
Posted by: Curt Finch 2007-01-13 16:21:01
See Full Story

The first computers were programmed by electrical engineers moving jumper cables around in the back of a giant mainframe. This is how the concept of a "bug" in software got started. A bug crawled into some of these wires, shorted a couple of them, and changed the logic of a program. In addition to the insect problem, reusability of this kind of software left much to be desired, as you might imagine. Later, binary, octal and hex programming and, after that, assembly language, appeared. These were huge improvements over moving wires around.

Re: What Everyone Needs to Know About SOA
Posted by: GB 2007-01-26 11:02:01 In reply to: Curt Finch
It would be hard for me to differ more from Curt Finch's view of SOA.
"Projects created primarily from reused software take about 1/4 the time and resources of those that are new."
FINE. BUT BEFORE THAT, CREATING REUSABLE SOFTWARE COSTS UP TO 3 TIMES CREATING BESPOKE SOFTWARE.
"Like COBOL, BASIC didn't initially have subroutines or parameterized functions, which led to hideous gobs of icky spaghetti code."
COBOL PROGRAMMERS WERE PERFORMING IN-PROCESS SUBROUTINES AND CALLING SEPARATELY COMPILED MODULES BY 1975.
"Then structured programming was born. Pascal, Modula-2, and related languages influenced others to allow for libraries of parameterized functions that could be reused."
REUSE OF MODULES IN COBOL PRE-DATED STRUCTURED PROGRAMMING, WHICH IS ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE ALTOGETHER.
"OO ... inheritance ... was limited ... legacy."
THE LIMITATIONS OF INHERITANCE AS A REUSE MECHANISM ARE PRESENT EVEN WHERE OOPLS ARE USED.
"Ultimately, the idea behind SOA is to do for Web services what MyYahoo did for static data"
FOR CURT SOA = WEB SERVICES. THAT'S NOT AN ARCHITECTURE. IT IS AN ANTI-ARCHITECTURE (IF LIBERATING) TECHNOLOGY
"all agree on SOAP (simple object access protocol), XML and WSDL (Web service definition language),
and these Web services technologies do enable the kind of architectures that SOA is creating."
TECHNOLOGY AND PROTOCOL LEVEL STANDARDISATION BARELY SCRATCHES THE SURFACE OF REUSE ISSUES
"The SOA idea is simple: componentize pieces of your legacy applications and provide a WSDL layer on top of them."
NO. THE IDEA IS NOT JUST TO COMPONENTISE. IT IS TO CREATE COMPONENTS THAT HAVE GENERAL UTILITY.
WHICH IS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT LEVEL OF AMBITION.
"I frequently give speeches to IT audiences around the country and one of the questions I ask people is, "Are you looking into rolling out SOA technologies in the next 12 months?" The number of hands going up on that one has increased substantially over the last quarter or so."
ROLLING OUT SOA TECHNOLOGIES IS NOT ROLLING OUT SOA.
IT IS JUST ENABLING PROGRAMMERS TO TURN THE ENTIRE ENTERPRISE'S SOFTWARE ESTATE INTO THE SPAGHETTI COMPLAINED OF AT THE BEGINNNING.
"Challenges for Project Managers"
THE CHALLENGES LISTED AREN'T CHALLENGES FOR PROJECT MANAGERS. THEY ARE CHALLENGES FOR TECHNICIANS.
THE CHALLENGES FOR PROJECT MANAGERS ARE IDENTIFICATION, SELECTION, BUDGET, OWNERSHIP, MAINTENANCE, CHANGE MANAGEMENT, VERSION CONTROL (AND OTHER THINGS) OF SHARED SERVICES.
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads