Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Holding the Torch for 'Dead' Morse Code

Re: Holding the Torch for 'Dead' Morse Code
Posted by: Miguel Helft 2007-01-02 06:09:10
See Full Story

It may be the ultimate SOS. Morse Code is in distress. The language of dots and dashes has been the lingua franca of amateur radio, a vibrant community of technology buffs and hobbyists who have provided a communications lifeline in emergencies and disasters. That community has been shaken, however, by news that the U.S. government will no longer require Morse Code proficiency as a condition for an amateur radio license. It was deemed dispensable because other modes of communicating over radio, like voice, teletype and even video, have grown in popularity.

Re: Holding the Torch for 'Dead' Morse Code
Posted by: n6hpx 2007-01-02 09:10:45 In reply to: Miguel Helft
I personally don't agree with the FCC decision on this and felt they should have kept the 5 wpm testing in place, any child 9 years old could have done it. Some of us worked very hard to pass our licenses, and are very proud of doing so. I just dont agree with there decision and many feel the same way. "Long live the code and down with the FCC decision."
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads