Ideoclick eBook
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

CRM Buyer Talkback

ECT News Community   »   CRM Buyer Talkback   »   Re: CRM and MBAs

Re: CRM and MBAs
Posted by: Denis Pombriant 2011-07-25 12:25:33
See Full Story

On Sunday, July 10, Time Magazine posted a book review of sorts by Rana Foroohar. "Driven Off the Road by M.B.A.s" is really a riff on Bob Lutz's new book, Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business . Lutz should know something about his topic since he spent a 47-year career in the halls of power at Ford, BMW, Chrysler and GM. Lutz's argument is not new, and I should say here that I haven't read the book. But I did read David Halberstam's magisterial book in the 1980s, The Reckoning , which makes the same argument.

Driven out of business by MBAs
Posted by: mod 2011-07-25 12:43:05 In reply to: Denis Pombriant
A major problem with the way MBAs are trained by our b-schools is not merely the disregard they acquire for the customer, but an equal if not greater disregard for employees (or, in spreadsheet management-speak, "headcount.")

In conducting anthropological studies of MBAs over the years in their native habitats, I have observed at least 3 other common drawbacks:
(a) They are taught to delegate everything, so they have no hands-on management skills, particularly when it comes to taking accountability;
(b) They rarely know how to actually do anything, or to understand how anyone else performs the work that they do;
(c) They would have no idea how to talk to a customer. (I have always felt that a prerequisite for success in business is a customer-facing position -- e.g., sales -- in a retail environment, where you actually get to interact with real people.)

Now, don't get me wrong -- I have known and worked with a number of fine MBA's over the years, who have managed to rise above their training. In fact, I am collaborating with one as we speak. But I hold little hope for organizations who have been brainwashed that an MBA is a "must have" for success in management.
Jump to: