Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

CRM Buyer Talkback

ECT News Community   »   CRM Buyer Talkback   »   Re: The Terminology Wars

Re: The Terminology Wars
Posted by: Denis Pombriant 2010-05-06 10:49:49
See Full Story

I had the pleasure of attending two events last week: Microsoft Convergence 2010 in Atlanta and the Salesforce-VMware VMforce.com announcement in San Francisco. Each event was useful and informative in its own way, and I am pleased to have witnessed each first-hand. I have written exhaustively -- at least I'm tired -- about each of these, so rather than another recitation of events, I want to spend this piece drilling into one aspect. Terminology was common and different in the two events, and it's worth looking at.

Cloud versus SaaS
Posted by: webbased 2010-05-06 11:11:11 In reply to: Denis Pombriant
One of the casualties of the terminology wars is the difference between cloud and SaaS. Many SaaS providers and on-premise application vendors have positioned themselves as "cloud" for the reasons listed in the article (cooler, more modern).

Quoting the folks at ERP Cloud News (www.erpcloudnews.com), "SaaS is a delivery model that the cloud makes possible." Some of the SaaS provider may utilize the cloud, but SaaS is not the cloud. The cloud extends both privately (per Convergence) and publically (per Salesforce).
Jump to:
Which best describes what you think about requiring Covid-19 "vaccine passports?"
It will prompt more people to take the vaccine to help end the virus.
It will lessen restrictions and provide more freedom for individuals.
It is a violation of privacy and civil liberties.
It will lead to stigma and discrimination.
It will encourage counterfeits and other criminal activities.