Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

CRM Buyer Talkback

ECT News Community   »   CRM Buyer Talkback   »   Re: How Do You Take Your Lock-In?

Re: How Do You Take Your Lock-In?
Posted by: Denis Pombriant 2010-04-28 09:52:00
See Full Story

If you think long enough about acquiring a CRM system, you will come to vendor lock-in, the idea that you won't be able to easily change vendors down the road for whatever reason. It's almost an existential problem, like rent and alimony put together. Every approach to CRM has its benefits and deficits, and ultimately it comes down to what you are comfortable with. I think of this market as having two major vendor groupings, though it is hard to describe them.

More than two vendor groupings
Posted by: davenewman 2010-04-28 10:52:09 In reply to: Denis Pombriant
What about those who use open source software for their CRM? Then you can go on and modify things, no matter what happens to the supplier. When a public sector organisation wanted to use CRM to keep track of thousands of contacts in a public consultation (separately tracking the pupils, teachers and administrators in 9000 schools), none of the commercial products met their needs. So a programmer customised SugarCRM to meet their needs.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.