Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

CRM Buyer Talkback

ECT News Community   »   CRM Buyer Talkback   »   Re: SAP Weaves New Design in Business Software

Re: SAP Weaves New Design in Business Software
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2007-09-21 09:02:49
See Full Story

SAP, which has developed and acquired a number of applications for small and medium-sized companies, added yet another to its line up. SAP Business ByDesign is an on-demand enterprise suite aimed at companies with 100 to 500 employees that do not have strong internal IT support. The application provides functionality in several areas, ranging from CRM, the supply chain and SAP's core competency of ERP and financials. It is based on SAP's Netweaver platform.

Re: SAP Weaves New Design in Business Software
Posted by: MikeInA2 2007-09-21 09:18:25 In reply to: Erika Morphy
SAP may have two big problems with its Software as a Service (SaaS) offering. Nucleus Research analyst Marc Songini hits one of them with his quote to CRMbuyer: "SAP has a reputation for being best suited for large enterprises. The reseller has to work to over come that."
Another analyst, Patrick Fetterman, notes on his blog (patrickfetterman.com), "the mid-market is highly suspicious of these large vendors. The nightmare stories such as Ford Motor Company canceling their SAP implementation after spending hundreds of millions on the project scare the bejesus out of these companies."
The second issue is the model itself. Companies such as SalesForce (salesforce.com) and Plexus Online (plex.com) have achieved success by targeting the needs of specific business segments, such as manufacturers by Plexus. The SAP model looks like a "one size fits all" approach that might be good for the developer, but not necessarily the best solution for the customer.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.