Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

CRM Buyer Talkback

ECT News Community   »   CRM Buyer Talkback   »   Re: ID Theft Guardians Offer Protection For a Price

Re: ID Theft Guardians Offer Protection For a Price
Posted by: Paul Wenske 2007-06-09 17:23:50
See Full Story

If you're like lots of Americans, you're increasingly wary of identity theft. But should you pay LifeLock or a similar company a few bucks to more than $100 a year to protect your identity? A host of new companies has sprung up recently offering products including credit monitoring, fraud alerts and identity theft insurance. Some will even unleash robotic software to scour the Internet and ferret out whether crooks are selling your credit card number in chat rooms. Are they worth it? Or are they hyping consumer fears to turn a quick profit?

Posted by: generic 2007-06-11 08:57:03 In reply to: Paul Wenske
You bring out some good points. However, one thing needs to be emphasized: does it make sense to give away your personal sensitive information, and pay a lot of money, to have one of these companies provide you with a service you can do for yourself? It doesn't make much sense... One company you did not mention, which does not require high fees, and does not require sensitive information, is <a href="http://www.creditlock.com"> http://www.creditlock.com </a>
They offer substantial information and tools for free, and for some premium services, require aan annual membership fee of only $4.68 per year.

Posted by: bizpropdx 2007-06-09 17:48:07 In reply to: Paul Wenske
I am an advocate of 'protecting what you cannot prevent'... like identity theft. I also subscribe to a service to protect myself. But a consumer has to consider more than just gimmicky components and guarantees but also the reputation\pasts of the people behind the services being provided.
It appears that @ least one of the companies being promoted in this article has co-founders with a questionable past as seen in a recent issue of the Phoenix Newtimes newspaper.
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2007-05-31/news/what-happened-in-vegas/2
The identity theft protection industry is like the wild-wild-west right now. There are new start-ups with limited to NO experience popping up every day in an attempt to cash in on the media attention being drawn to this subject.
Unfortunately this new industry has not gone its 'cleansing process' yet like other mature outsourced risk industries (auto, life, health, home etc.) that most of us are 2nd and 3rd generation of. There will be a lot of innocent victims buying the products recommended by their personal professionals (that don't know much more than the consumer does) that will get hurt by this when they become victims of identity theft and ONLY then realize that the prouct\service they bought in to wasn't worth the paper it was written on.
When choosing any service the term, "caveat emptor," or "buyer beware," certainly applies.
For the companies providing these services.... "Time will either promote you or expose you."
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.