Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: So You Want to Be a Linux Developer, Part 2

Re: So You Want to Be a Linux Developer, Part 2
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2007-07-27 09:07:24
See Full Story

The continuing rise in popularity of Linux applications has become a boon to job opportunities for software programmers. However, the working culture of the open source industry is different from that of proprietary software developers. Code writers looking for a job as Linux developers need a unique set of job skills and work ethics often not demanded by employers of traditional software developers. Even educational degrees take a back seat to hands-on experience with an open source community and a track record of communication ability and leadership.

Re: So You Want to Be a Linux Developer, Part 2
Posted by: KipIngram 2007-07-27 09:12:22 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I find it interesting that the article states that computer science degrees are preferred over engineering degrees because CS degree holders are comfortable taking a more ad-hoc approach to coding. In my experience I've found engineers to be far more oriented toward a "bottom line, get the job done" focus, whereas professional programmers place much more emphasis on the generation of formal specs and other such documents. This seems to be the reverse of what the article is saying.
Maybe I misinterpreted?
I'm an engineer myself, and my adage is "nothing succeeds like success."
Jump to: