Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Linux Netbooks: Hiding in Plain Sight

Re: Linux Netbooks: Hiding in Plain Sight
Posted by: Jay Lyman 2013-02-05 05:54:54
See Full Story

You just think that's a Chromebook beckoning you with an open source OS, easier upgradeability and fast connections to the cloud. All those qualities could make it a Linux netbook in disguise -- or at least what the netbooks of a few years ago promised before they all started selling preloaded with Windows. The key? More manufacturers buying into the flexibility of the Linux kernel in the Chrome OS. I was really beginning to think I got it wrong when it came to Linux netbooks, which I heralded as one of the last great hopes for Linux on the desktop years ago.

Re: Linux Netbooks: Hiding in Plain Sight
Posted by: Kagehi 2013-02-05 07:58:59 In reply to: Jay Lyman
Ugh.. Great, more note/net/whatever-books that won't run many applications out there, because they are not, and never have been compiled for "Chrome OS". Chrome is not linux, its a bloody hybred, just like Android is, and, as such, you can't just go to a repository, and go, "Heh, I would like to install X application." Most of these bloody things have you locked into a specific app store, precisely because its the only place you can even get anything that will run on them. The so called Chrome OS is only barely better than the horrible "cell phone" OSes, which companies are putting on tablets, and some "netbooks". Or, maybe I am just whiny because even the ones that come with Win8 won't run half the stuff I actually use on a regular basis properly, due to the horrible nonsense they slapped over the top of the OS, never mind any of the Linux applications I might want to run on the ones that don't have that.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS