Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Boost your international sales on eBay
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Linux Mint 14 Is a Breath of Fresh Air

Re: Linux Mint 14 Is a Breath of Fresh Air
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2013-01-09 05:33:33
See Full Story

Linux Mint 14, released in December and dubbed the "Nadia" version, is loaded with a horde of improvements to all four of its desktop environments. It is not usually necessary to grab every new release to a distro, but Nadia is a significant upgrade to an evolving Linux OS. This one is a keeper. The Linux Mint distro became popular very quickly, It was introduced in 2006 and is now pegged as one of the more widely used Linux operating systems. Some download and usage reports place it ahead of Canonical's Ubuntu distro.

Posted by: kibert 2013-01-09 19:19:18 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
ôSome download and usage reports place it ahead of Canonical's Ubuntu distro."

Now, what I'm curious about is that I always see what amounts to half-hearted--at best--references to Mint's 'possible' better acceptance than Ubuntu's. Maybe. With qualifications. Perhaps.

I have yet to see a journalist state that Mint Linux has bested Ubuntu for the last two years on Distrowatch; Ubuntu was trounced in their ratings for 2012, and--get this--Ubuntu was THIRD in the rankings for ALL of 2012, behind Mint and Mageia! Please--anyone--do not drag out the hackneyed reasons for not believing Distrowatch numbers. If data can be presented from a source which collects a comparable amount of unskewed data in an impartial, manner, then I'm all ears.

How many years does Mint have to lead in the rankings before it is recognized as the best; ton after ton of press releases from Canonical's PR mill, and interview after tedious wishful-thinking-Shuttleworth interview be damned.

What\'s going on here?

We all would really like to know.

Posted by: starskeptic 2013-01-14 20:21:28 In reply to: kibert
Maybe because Distrowatch's numbers aren't in any way official.

"They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions."

If journalists choose to not mention such an informal set of numbers - I don't see the use in calling foul.

Posted by: ruel24 2013-01-09 17:48:41 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I'm currently using Mint 14 KDE. Installing the actual nVidia drivers was a PITA, IMO. I just don't understand why they shipped it with the application to get and install it not working. Then doing it by the repositories was a bit confusing because there were so many options. It would be simple to just have a single installation metapackage that included a script to setup Plymouth's resolution to match and get everything else in line. And while we're at it, how much more boring can the Plymouth and Grub2 screens be? Also, why is it that they have to copy the Ubuntu/Kubuntu scheme and make the KDE version a blue color? I love the Mint Cinnamon theme, and they should just replicate that theme across all versions and have a consistent look and feel. The color blue and the word "mint" just don't seem to fit together. You think of mint, you think of green. Otherwise, I'm liking this disto. I'm not a big Debian fan because I think most Debian distros are needlessly complex, even Ubuntu. But, Mint makes using Debian a delight. I'm unsure whether or not this distro will stay or not after Fedora 18 is shipped. May wait for the Kororaa version, though...

Posted by: jackmgerm 2013-01-09 15:20:57 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Thanks for the suggestion about including the life span of the distros in my reviews. I will mention that from now on. As to the features that I listed as new yet appear to be in your Linux Mint 11 package, I'm curious about which ones you mean. I regularly run Mint 12 and Mint 13 in both Cinnamon and KDE. The features I mentioned as new aren't in what I have been using. The list of new features for Mint 14 does have listed what I included in the review. So now you have piqued my curiosity. Maybe the features you mention are improved or finally added back into the latest release.

Posted by: Morgen 2013-01-09 11:29:12 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
This was a very helpful article. In any review of Mint releases, I think it would also help to include their lifetimes. Mint 14, the subject of this article will be supported only for a little over a year from now, April 2014. I have Mint 11 which is no longer supported. The next Mint release I plan to install will be Mint 13 MATE, because it is a long-term release and will be supported until April 2017, four more years. I'm one of those who finds always needing to install new releases a pain. I like to put it in and forget about that part for a good-enough while. I got Mint 11 only a little over a year ago and already it's so out of date it is not supported anymore.

Another thing: Two or three of the new items you state in Mint 14 are not new, because they are included in the Mint 11 I have.

I've been using Mint since 2006. Some of the things from back then I like better than the more current ones. Like so many others, I am totally hooked on Mint. Their fortune cookies in the terminal always put me in a good mood. A good thing that humor for going into that serious space. Also a good thing that Mint has climbed to the top. They deserve it. I hope they keep it up forever...
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS