Welcome Guest | Sign In
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Way to miss the point

Re: FOSS' Fight Against China's Free-as-in-Pirated Syndrome
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2012-12-02 03:15:07
See Full Story

The tide of software piracy in China may be ebbing. With the clear support of the Chinese government, several software organizations and computer firms based in Europe and the U.S. are conducting events focusing on growing open source in China. The push toward China's active participation in the open source community signals a maturing of the country's computing infrastructure. That, in turn, may generate a more trusting partnership with China's IT resources.

Way to miss the point
Posted by: hairyfeet 2012-12-02 03:26:56 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
If someone would rather STEAL your competitor's product than take yours for free? You should NOT be thinking about education, but asking a fundamental question that frankly has needed to be asked for far to long, which is "What is my competitor doing right that I'm doing wrong?"

As a retailer i'll be happy to answer that, the world is NOT gonna do things YOUR way, you HAVE to do things THEIR way! No more CLI (sure you can have it as an option but NEVER as the preferred way to solve basic problems), no more breaking drivers on update, in fact if you don't come up with SOME way for the OEMs to put drivers on discs and penguins on boxes? give it up chuck, nobody cares about your "drivers should be free!" philosophy, all they care about is having to play hardware roulette because there is no way to tell just by looking at the box! No more throwing out working code for alpha quality junk (See pulse, KDE 4, gnome 3 for examples) and a "it just works and STAYS working" should be the #1 mantra, no adding more features until you've fixed the bugs!

Just because you are free gives you NO right to demand customers, nor does it give you the right to be lazy. I can't count the number of times i've seen software foo with a bug list as long as my arm, that half of them don't end up labeled "Won't fix" (yeah, if you label a legit problem won't fix your software should be BANNED, period) followed by Foo+1 that not only doesn't fix the bugs, but adds that many MORE bugs on top!

People would rather steal your competitor's product because he makes a better product, simple as that. if you'd quit being obsessed with MSFT and instead look to your own problems and work to be the absolute BEST OS bar none? Then watch as things get fixed and share grows. Instead we get a bunch of jerk devs whose answer to everything is "open up bash and type" which should be always followed by "And pray that it works, because more than half the time it won't" and who only care about scratching their own itches.

I'm sorry but you can take the absolute worst MSFT OS and it'll have one tenth the bugs and issues the best Linux OS has, that's a fact. Take a 6 year old distro and a 6 year old copy of Vista RTM, install them, make sure you have all the drivers, then update them both to current. which one will have 100% working drivers and which one won't? I rest my case.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS