Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Boost your international sales on eBay
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   OpenIndiana powered by Illumos

Re: Whither OpenSolaris? Illumos Takes Up the Mantle
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2012-11-20 08:21:58
See Full Story

For the installed user base of the former Sun Microsystems' OpenSolaris OS, questions about its continued support and development remain largely unanswered. When Oracle bought Sun Microsystems, it raised fees for its technical help and halted further development on OpenSolaris, replacing it with its own Oracle Solaris 11. Enter the
Illumos Foundation, which created a fork of the OS and is gearing up to continue its development. Illumos developers see strong interest in the project as it gains momentum.

OpenIndiana powered by Illumos
Posted by: slimg 2012-11-20 16:11:51 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
i have been useing OpenIndiana which has the Illumos under the hood for while. It was very easy to install on a laptop and desktop systems. It has the Gnome desktop, found the wireless card & nic., i think i had the fetch a new firefox but i have to it do that with any machine.

as a tinkerer i became interested in the, Zone, smf, & ZFS features that it offers. The ipkg software management was also neat to encounter. as a user of the gnulinuxes and the bsds it is a little bit of a adjustment but well worth it.

i could not believe how easy (with a little reading) setting up a amp stack in zone is. i had a few of these going and still could surf. the Illumos/OpenIndiiana in my experience fast,stable, and extra awesome. Keep up the great work please.

Re: Whither OpenSolaris? Illumos Takes Up the Mantle
Posted by: YellowApple 2012-11-20 15:29:10 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I've been messing around lately with SmartOS, which is Joyent's hypervisor built on illumos. Pretty cool so far, but illumos is certainly a whole new world compared to Linux.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS