Welcome Guest | Sign In
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Ubuntu 12.10: Unity Just Sort of Grows on You

Re: Ubuntu 12.10: Unity Just Sort of Grows on You
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2012-11-07 07:37:03
See Full Story

The recent release of Ubuntu 12.10, aka Quantal Quetzal, is a more palatable version of the open source OS built around the Unity desktop environment. Perhaps I am growing more accustomed to Unity, or maybe Canonical's developers are succeeding in refining the graphical user interface, so it seems less objectionable for me to use. In my view, the switch to the Ubuntu-specific Unity shell has not been Canonical's finest hour. It did succeed in pushing me as a long-time user to other Linux distros. More times than not, when I return to Ubuntu, I run the KDE interface.

Posted by: Runaway1956 2012-11-13 11:33:49 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
"Unity Just Sort of Grows on You"

So do warts, corns, calluses, and tumors. That doesn't mean I go around bragging about any of them.

Linux Mint Debian's Mate desktop hasn't had to "grow on me" - it just worked out of the box. It's very much like what I'm used to, and it works. I'll pass on Unity, Gnome 3, and any other "Metro" designs.

Posted by: jabi 2012-11-07 20:02:44 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
This is what exactly I was searching, the information was overall very useful for me, thanks a lot.

Posted by: lsatenstein 2012-11-07 16:40:33 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Ubuntu does have expenses, such as paying for codecs, paying for programmers, paying for distribution and so forth. Ubuntu is partially a charity distribution-- you can get it for free,
but the bills have to be paid, and so, Canonical is doing the next best thing... Selling via a Ubuntu store, and offering cloud storage for a very small fee.

Posted by: dickmacinnis 2012-11-07 09:34:43 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Nice article. You did miss some things about Unity, however. To access the workspace switcher, just hit "windows+s", and to jump from one workspace to another, it's "ctrl+alt+arrow key", where arrow key is the direction you're trying to go. Not only this, but all the unity shortcuts are listed if you hold down the windows key.

Posted by: kibert 2012-11-07 07:50:11 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Apparently you have not read the far-less-than-complimentary review of Shuttleworth's latest, um, offering--which was hailed by obvious cult members as being really objective: Issue 480 (2012-10-29): 'Review of Ubuntu 12.10', by Jesse Smith, DistroWatch MAGAZINE.

The 'fans' (short for 'fanatic', as we all know) were astoundingly quiet; the silence was, as they say, deafening.

Check it out.
Jump to: