Welcome Guest | Sign In
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: The FSF's Trick-or-Treat Stunt at the Windows 8 Launch

Re: The FSF's Trick-or-Treat Stunt at the Windows 8 Launch
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2012-11-05 08:32:37
See Full Story

To "celebrate" the launch of Windows 8 just a few days before Halloween, activists from the Free Software Foundation played a little trick and handed out some treats at a launch event in New York City. With a costume-clad "GNU" leading the effort, the FSF representatives handed out DVDs loaded with Trisquel along with FSF stickers and information about the group's new pledge, "which asks Windows users to upgrade not to Windows 8, but to GNU/Linux," the FSF explains. Marketing genius or awkward attempt? That's what FOSS fans have been trying to decide.

Posted by: Runaway1956 2012-11-12 19:14:42 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Immature? Snarky? Give it a break. The world has forgiven both Apple and Microsoft for all their past sins, including unethical, predatory business practices. If immature and snarky are the worst you can say about free software, then the FSF is doing a helluva job!

Posted by: saiftynet 2012-11-05 14:03:30 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
The trouble is that the general public will give zero value to something that costs zero dollars. If they had to make some effort to get the software (e.g splash some cash) they would feel it was worth something. While there is no such thing as bad publicity, dishing out free stuff and saying please choose me not the other one, makes you look needy. I think evangelism is not the answer. In fact I don't think there is even a question to be answered. Linux is for people who generally disregard gimmicks, hype or marketing.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS