Welcome Guest | Sign In
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Buy.com Steps Up Global Shipping

Re: Buy.com Steps Up Global Shipping
Posted by: Mark W. Vigoroso 2002-03-13 14:02:05
See Full Story

Buy.com has expanded its global shipping services, introducing a feature that lets shoppers
view total shipping costs in their local currency. In addition, international customers
now will see the total price of their items at the point of purchase, rather than remaining
in the dark about customs fees, duties and taxes until they receive their receipt.
"What is interesting is that other U.S. companies are moving out of foreign countries,"
Jupiter Media Metrix analyst Ken Cassar told the E-Commerce Times.

Re: Buy.com Steps Up Global Shipping
Posted by: cwilliams 2002-03-13 14:07:49 In reply to: Mark W. Vigoroso
That sounded as though Buy.com was gearing up for international business - until you check out the conditions!
Firstly, they only accept international orders for over $1,000 - a fairly big limitation when most of their goods are in the $10/$100 range.
Secondly, the only payment option is by bank wire transfer - with all the charges involved in that, depnding on where you live, including a $6 fee to Buy.com.
Thirdly, it did not seem as though any tax and duty was being calculated, although I am not sure about that, as I had given up the idea of sending the goods to my family in the UK by then!
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS