Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
CyberSource Peak Season Fraud Management Guide
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Amazon's Free-Shipping Gamble: Will Rivals Ante Up?

Re: Amazon's Free-Shipping Gamble: Will Rivals Ante Up?
Posted by: Keith Regan 2002-01-24 22:26:10
See Full Story

Though overshadowed by word of Amazon's first-ever profits, the e-tailer's offer of free
shipping on large orders may have an even greater impact on the e-commerce landscape,
according to analysts. "Shipping is a very big issue, both with people who don't buy
online and those who do," Forrester analyst Christopher Kelley told the E-Commerce Times.
"It's going to apply a lot of pressure on other companies in their space to take another
look at this."

Re: Amazon's Free-Shipping Gamble: Will Rivals Ante Up?
Posted by: suzanne_5 2002-03-07 14:24:20 In reply to: Keith Regan
I just placed a $120 order from Amazon. I almost went to BN for part of the order, but once I knew there was free shipping on orders over $99, I bought all my items from Amazon. So, it did make a difference in my case. I also checked out our local bookstore to compare prices, and hardback books were on average $8 per book more expensive in the bookstore than at Amazon. That's significant! How do these brick and mortar retailers hope to stay in business once people realize the savings they can achieve by shopping online - and no sales tax!! I buy all my airline tickets online. And as a matter of fact, after three long, stressful weeks of car-dealer shopping, I just bought a brand new car online via carsdirect.com. I'm a believer!!
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS