Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Getting Over Big Data Fatigue in the C Suite

Re: Getting Over Big Data Fatigue in the C Suite
Posted by: Steven Maxwell 2012-12-08 08:48:35
See Full Story

Recently while presenting the findings of a Big Data survey to an executive team, I was a bit taken aback when the CEO stopped me and said, "I'll listen to what you learned from the survey as long as you don't use those two words again -- 'Big Data' -- I've already told my team there will be hell to pay if one more person tells me, 'we ought take a look at what Big Data can do for us,' that may be the last suggestion they make at the company." I would love to say I was surprised, but it wasn't the first time I had heard this sentiment from an executive.

Posted by: Treepodia 2012-12-30 13:22:13 In reply to: Steven Maxwell
Buzzwords are annoying by default. Each has its helf life after which it just becomes too grating. That's why we always have new ones taking their place. The unfortunate side-effect, indeed, is that they cloud the potentially valuable concept that they stand for. Such is our world, imperfect.

Posted by: wilcoxaj 2012-12-14 14:50:24 In reply to: Steven Maxwell
Totally agreed. Big data is the most frustrating buzzword. Our CEO actually wrote an article about the state of the buzzword: (http://www.domo.com/blog/2012/11/new-report-shows-how-to-turn-big-data-into-big-bucks/)
Every day, I get to see challenges with how customers process the mounds of data they create. It's exciting, but I'm wishing now that I could call it something else besides Big Data.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS