Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Windows 8 Is Too Much, Too Soon for Many Users

Re: Windows 8 Is Too Much, Too Soon for Many Users
Posted by: Jeff Kagan 2012-11-24 06:10:08
See Full Story

I have been taking a closer look at two of the brand-new technologies that are really shaking up the computer world. One is Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system with all those funky tiles. The other is the Lenovo Yoga 13 laptop. The changes are many. Some will think all this change is good, others will not. Let's look at the good, the bad and the ugly. Let's start with Windows 8. The good news is, many users will absolutely love this operating system. The bad news is, many will not.

Posted by: MrFriendly 2012-11-28 11:58:09 In reply to: Jeff Kagan
Microsoft did not do what it should have done years ago - which was to tell it's developers that "old" software will no longer work on it's newer OS (win7) and will not run in a virtual environment either. I did mention this at a dealer sales meeting more than 10 years ago. It's dominant position at the time left it in a vulnerable position in a way. It should have taken a stand so that the industry could move forward faster.

Posted by: dajunga 2012-11-24 07:41:12 In reply to: Jeff Kagan
Make up your mind.. has Microsoft always done this?
"However, this is so Microsoft -- this is what it has always done. When it was the leader, it could get away with it. I don't think it can today."

Or not..
"Remember Windows 2000? When the next Windows XP came, it gave customers the option to use either the new XP mode or the existing 2000 mode in XP that customers already knew. This was a stroke of genius. This helped users update even if they were not yet ready to switch."

I think most would say that Microsoft has *always* decided to maintain backwards compatibility and resist any change that would alienate their existing user base. After all enterprise customers have been their life's blood for so long. Windows 8 is *not* what they have always done. It is a bold and risky step but I think a necessary one. Otherwise a simple iteration of Windows 7 would have been the start of a downward spiral into mediocrity. That's no way to compete in the new world of iOS and Android.
Jump to: