Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
CyberSource Peak Season Fraud Management Guide
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Group: Internet Content Cannot Remain Free

Re: Group: Internet Content Cannot Remain Free
Posted by: Helena Spongenberg 2005-12-07 10:22:56
See Full Story

European publishers warned yesterday that they cannot keep allowing Internet search engines such as Google to make money from their content. "The new models of Google and others reverse the traditional permission-based copyright model of content trading that we have built up over the years," said Francisco Pinto Balsemao, the head of the European Publishers Council, in prepared remarks for a speech at a Brussels conference.

Re: Group: Internet Content Cannot Remain Free
Posted by: brentoboy 2005-12-07 10:34:38 In reply to: Helena Spongenberg
this is the stupidest complaint I have ever heard.
if something is posted online in the public area of a website, it is indexed by hundreds of search engines who display snipits of one form or another. This is common knowledge, and it is easy to mark a web page as "please dont index this" inside the hidden text of the page.
News companies who offer content should sue the content reproducing websites who post the content in a manner that is indexed against thier wishes, and demand that they clean up thier act to conform with standards that already exist, and have already proven that they work.
I dont see the problem. If I sell you a book, and you take it to kinko's and copy it, it is your fault, not kinko's for letting it slip by. Even though kinko's (like google) has a mechanizm in place to try to avoid that sort of thing - responsibility goes to the guy posting the content in a way that opens it up to accidental unauthorized reproduction - it is easy to avoid, the publisher needs to take on some responsibility.
they need to grow up.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS